Thursday 22 May 2014

Posted by Sibon Phiri on 12:01 No comments
I work in a large building with thousands of colleagues and to be honest, I don’t even know every person who works in my department (there are around 600 in total) never mind those from the other departments. However, there is a lady at work who dresses really pretty. Whenever I saw her, I would think “wow, she’s always dressed elegantly.” She really does make an effort and it makes her stand out.

A while back, I was in the ladies toilet washing my hands, and she came out of the cubicle and headed straight for the door. She just flushed the toilet, and went out without washing her hands! I was quite shocked! At that moment all that prettiness and elegance went out of the window for something as trivial as not washing her hands. Every time I saw her I couldn't help but think of that moment in the ladies toilet. Even when I didn't want to think about it, every time i saw her, it would come back in my mind and I couldn't look at her in the same way I did before.

I couldn't help but relate this experience to the way our image or the way a person looks at us can be damaged because of the way we said something (in a rude, harsh way), we promised to do something or go somewhere and we failed to keep our word and worst, we didn't even apologise for not doing it. Or maybe we acted in an inappropriate way and that hurt someone who admired us. I know that nobody is perfect! In fact we will never be prefect because we make mistakes but that doesn't mean that we cannot at least try our best to live an exemplary life and have an exemplary conduct. The way we act, react towards things and behave says a lot about who we are as people, and if we act negatively, we can end up damaging our image.

 How many famous people, people in power and who were once greatly admired have had their image destroyed because they had an affair, we’re caught taking drugs, found out to be an abuser and the list goes on? Though they try to do a lot of good works, especially charitable works to take away that negative label they now have, they will always be known as that president who had an affair, that singer who beat up his girlfriend, that actor who fell into a drug addiction….Some people just can’t give them the respect they once earned through their talent or good will.

We should watch ourselves so that we too don’t end up having a negative label because we failed to watch our conduct and control ourselves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment