Thursday 25 December 2014

Posted by Sibon Phiri on 09:23 2 comments

While most people were running round doing last minute Christmas shopping and preparations on Christmas Eve morning, I was having emergency dental surgery to remove damaged nerves.

A while back, one of one my bottom tooth at the back chipped off a little bit whilst eating. I kept postponing visiting the dentist to get it sorted out and as time went by, the hole got bigger. In the last week the pain became unbearable and was causing sleepless nights and lack of concentration at work. I took a lot of pain killers, used teething gels and tried different home remedies i found online, which helped sooth the pain, but only for a while, as eventually the pain would come back, especially at night.

I had an emergency appointment yesterday because i couldn't bear spending Christmas in agony or bed bound! I discovered that the cause of the pain was because the nerves were infected and damaged and I had two options ; either remove the hole tooth or kill and remove the nerves, have a root canal then have a crown placed over the broken part of the tooth. I chose the latter, even though I know it's going to cost me several hundred pounds, but in the long run it will be beneficial for me then having a big gap, which will cause discomfort while eating.

It is not how I imagined to spend my morning at all. I had plans to go to work, leave early, do some Christmas Food Shopping, buy a new dress for Saturday etc, but those plans changed as a more urgent need surfaced.

While I was sat in the chair, having the treatment, I started comparing this bad situation to how we sometimes behave towards things in our life. They are things or even people in our lives that are not good for us and even though they are clear warning signs telling us something is wrong, we choose to ignore or tolerate them. We can even try to carry on as normal and brush things aside, but unless they are “treated” or “removed” completely, the hole we are digging will get deeper and deeper and so will the pain and discomfort and in the end the consequences of not letting go or dealing with it sooner, will be costly!

This could be a bad friendship / relationship, an addiction, grudges, bad eyes towards someone, low self esteem, an attitude, negative way of thinking, bad habit, to name a few!

2 comments: