Friday 25 October 2013

Posted by Sibon Phiri on 02:27 No comments


The other day I was watching the first part of a documentary callled 'Women Behind Bars - With Trevor MacDonald' and I must say I found parts of it disturbing. My heart felt like it was bleeding while listening to the stories of some of the prison inmates and what led them to be condemmned to life in prison.
What caught my attention and probably disturbed me the most is the segration confined unit they have where prisoners who are placed there have no contact with any other prisoner and spend 23 hours a day locked in their cell, all alone. They cannot even recieve letters from family and friends nor write to them. The only time they leave their cell is probably to bathe and eat that's it. Though I don't condone what they have done, I felt sorry for them.

 I couldn't help but think how depressing and tormenting it must be to spend 23 hours of your day, everyday, staring at the same four walls with no one to talk to. It can make a person go crazy and one inmate said how it drives her insane at times. One of the prison wardens explained that it's a punishment unit for bad behaviour and a place where they can think about their actions. Women are usually locked up there for a short period of time but one lady has been on the unit for 5 years after 'embarassing' the U.S authorities 5 years ago when she escaped from prison and was on the run for 4 months. She is already serving a 110 year prison sentence for double homocide prior to her escape but now faces most of her life locked up in this unit.

I started to think about how I used to be a prisoner. Not living in an actual prison but inside of me. A prisoner to insecurities, fears and phobias, complexes and so many other internal and emotional issues that paralysed me within and impeded me from pursuing certain things. Yes, I was a prisoner to past traumas that practically dictated my every move. Whenever I wanted to do something a fear came over me and a rememberance of certain negative things that happened caused me to back down from taking positive steps to change my life.

 And maybe this is you today. You are a prisoner to grudges and resentment because you can't forgive someone who hurt you. Maybe you have never dealt with a traumatic experience that happened and it's consuming you everyday. Depression, addicition, loneliness and sickness has made you feel like things will never get better for you. You feel STUCK. If this is you and you want to find freedom within and in a certain area of your life then I invite you to attend the UNSTUCK EVENT taking place at UCKG Helpcentre's across the world.

Wherever you are, there may be a Help Centre close to you and I advise you to go on this website www.uckg.org or contact me directly to find the nearest one to you. Enough of wollowing in self pity about our situation. Let's do something about and take action to get UNSTUCK.

0 comments:

Post a Comment